Metadata Management Conceptual Design Deliverable Template
From MIKE2.0 Methodology
-> You are here: Metadata Management Conceptual Design Deliverable Template
The Metadata Management Conceptual Design task determines how metadata will be obtained, created and stored. It also determines who the users are; and, how and what metadata should be made available to them.
Since metadata usually resides in different places it will take effort to consolidate the different sources. The uses of the metadata will also influence the management strategy and the selection of tools that capture metadata.
The end users will need the following metadata categories of interest, which may include:
Example Metadata Management Conceptual Design
The following section (Metadata Management Conceptual Design) provides a high-level overview to the various metadata management solution elements and standards that the approach adheres to.
Business Definition of Metadata
1. XYZ 2-0 metadata will describe the path attributes have taken through the solution, from their original source to final controlled target and any business rules applied along the way.
2. As shown in the diagram above, XYZ 2-0 metadata will commence with mapping from the BDS2, ODS2 and MDE tables in ABC.
3. XYZ 2-0 metadata will map data movement via ETL into the RDS database schema.
4. XYZ 2-0 metadata will also map data movement via Cognos Framework Manager to output as defined ABC reports, such as the Stock Item Analysis report.
6. The primary focus of defining metadata for XYZ 2-0 will not include the transition of data from source systems into the target environment.
7. The mapping and transformation information shall be captured during the requirements and design stage using the Metadata Management tool.
8. To preserve data lineage and enable reporting, each mapping is recorded as a separate transformation – even if the data movement is a direct mapping and there are no business rules applied.
9. This information will allow business users to identify where and how the requirements have been implemented. It also allows them to see the data models without access to the ABC database.
Solution Implementation Metadata
10. During the Development and Functional Testing phase, the business rules will be refined. Once the mappings are stable, development will commence and the Metadata Tool will be updated with technical details about how the solution was implemented
11. Transformation Rule Maintenance in Metadata Tool records the mappings from initial source to final target stage and these can be tagged to a single Run Module. If a derivation involves more than one discrete piece of code this is noted in the long description.
12. This information will allow technical users to identify the areas of code that need to be examined when queries about derivations are raised.
Wiki asset search